Sunday, June 24, 2018

Breakfast at Tiffa-Trees Black Eyelet Dress



I have been hunting for black eyelet fabric for a dress for aaaages. I didn't have a specific plan for the dress, but luckily, after I found the fabric (well, after my mom found it and passed along a good chunk of remnants,) I came across Simplicity's 8051 rockabilly dress pattern and with its peek-a-boo back, it seemed like the perfect little number for the eyelet's fabulous scalloped edges.

Construction Notes 

This dress was extra breezy to make because I didn't have to worry about hemming or finishing the edges of the peekaboo cutout! I only used the bodice of the pattern and then made a basic little dirndl skirt (with pockets!) to take advantage of the scalloped edge of the fabric at the bottom. 


Summation

Regrets: I wish I had made the curve of the neckline a little more smooth--a few more snips along the seam would probably have helped. I also wish I had fitted the waist a bit more. 

Pattern Thoughts: I LOVED how beautifully Simplicity 8051 goes together. Everything fits together very satisfyingly and is just a simple and lovely sew. 
I love the peekaboo in the back, although I think I could maybe have gone a size down with the bodice as it gapes a bit--I don't mind, though, because even gaping looks pretty with eyelet scallops! 
The peekaboo is also a little finicky with bras (and even more so with the eyelet fabric because going braless is a little breezy! Next time I might line the shelf bust and just put cups in the dress itself. 


Styling & Shoot

Dyann Diercks Photography and Colorado's springtime magic worked together on these! 

The fabric came from a small fabric store in Queens, the earrings and bracelet are hand-me-downs.
(Also, I feel that I should point out that my styling of this dress is inspired by Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly and that is the reason for the really stupid title of this blog post.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment