Thursday, August 9, 2018

I Dream of Jeanie


High-waisted harem pants check a lot of boxes for me. Are they fun? Yes. Are they comfy? SO comfy, it's like you're not even wearing pants! Do they make me feel simultaneously like Princess Jasmine and a 1940s slacks-wearing movie starlet? Heck yeah they do.

The feel of the outfit was inspired by a character made by one of my favorite artists, Sarah of Curious Pip! The character's name is Percy (short for Persephone) and she is a very glamorous bohemian lady with a penchant for plants and wide-legged pants. (Read all about her here!) I even have a compass tattoo like this babe, but it's on the side of my ribcage and the top covers it!


Construction Notes


Luckily, I am the owner of the World's Best Harem Pants Pattern! It's from the 30s or 40s and is labelled Gazian's Theatrical Goods--I think I got it on Etsy! This pair I started in this stripey knit back in 2015 and I've been carting them around half-finished in my fabric box in my many moves since then. This summer was Unfinished Projects Time and these were up there on the list! All they needed was the waistband, and voila!
But, when you finish a fabulous stripey pair of pants, you need a cute crop top to go with them. Enter Simplicity 1426 with all its cute crop top options (this one is Option B), and this cute orange cotton from JoAnn fabrics.



Regrets: Dangit if I don't have trouble with corners! It's hard to tell with this fabric, but the waistband comes down to a little point in front and I have the worst trouble making it smooth. it's got a tiny little bubble that doesn't really show, but I know it's there and it bugs me, haha.


Pattern Thoughts: The top I'm pretty happy with, you can easily go braless with it (but I put in one of those little strapless, backless bra numbers because this thing is a little flattening.) You could easily pop some bra inserts in between the fabric and the lining if you wanted it to be more of a bra top. I shortened the straps by a good 2 inches or so, so there's easy adjustment for bigger or smaller-chested ladies. The pattern whips up easily and is lovely and fully lined!


Styling and Shoot

My beloved Dyann Diercks came to visit me in Kentucky took these!

The sunglasses are from K-Mart, the sandals are from TJ Maxx, and all the fabric is from JoAnn Fabrics. The earrings are from a trip I took to Peru! 








No comments:

Post a Comment