Monday, November 11, 2013

Harvest Queen

Autumn is here and it's beautiful! (It's been here for a while, but it's just so pretty that I can't stop talking about it!) All this fall loveliness is having a pretty strong effect on my sartorial choices. Brown isn't usually a color I gravitate towards, but lately I really seem to like it... Especially when it's pretty and coppery like this dress fabric!
My lovely sister Gwendolyn took these photos for me at a farm down the road from us. This pretty cornfield looked like a perfect background for this autumney ensemble, so we parked the car on the side of the road and took some pictures. Mercifully, we were not chased off by any angry land owners with shotguns.



I made this dress from this vintage McCall's pattern. The sleeves were a headache to put on the dress, but I'm very happy with how it turned out! The fabric is from a vintage sari I purchased on eBay. The portion of the fabric that makes the back of the bodice was originally intended to be the front, but I wasn't paying good enough attention to what I was cutting out and realized too late that I had cut out the wrong piece. Fortunately, I'm a little obsessed with how that fabric looks on the back, and I figured out something else to do with the bodice, so hooray, hooray!

Dress: McCall's Pattern 4551
 Shoes: by Chelsea Crew, found on eBay
Necklace: Queen of Rags
Hair ornament: I have no idea!



I would just like to give a shout-out to Kentucky for being really, really good at autumn. IT IS SO, SO PRETTY HERE! Y'all should come and visit. =]

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful dress, and how awesome that you made it! I too love the copper shades, brown does contain some surprisingly beautiful colors. Your hair and necklace are lovely too! :)

    ReplyDelete