Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Dreaming About Derby


IT'S ALMOST HERE, Y'ALL!
Derby season in Louisville is probably the most exciting holiday season for the city. Wreaths of roses are everywhere, stores begin to devote themselves solely to selling fabulous, elaborate hats, and people go on shopping rampages for pocket squares, seersucker, and sundresses.
As a proud citizen of Kentucky, I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have never been to the actual race. Or any horse race, for that matter. I've gone to Derby parties and watched the race on TV every year for as long as I can remember, have been to the Derby Museum and Churchill Downs at least 3 times and the Kentucky Horse Park even more times, but I have never attended an actual race!
It's probably for the best, though, as I probably wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to re-enact this:

Even though the attendees of our horse races in Kentucky are decidedly less dressed by Cecil Beaton than the Ascot-attending crowd in My Fair Lady, most of them manage to look pretty fabulous! Big hats, darling sundresses, boater hats, pocket squares... *sigh* I wanna go sooooo baaaaaaad!
Anyway, here is some Derby fashion inspiration, past and present. =]


















No comments:

Post a Comment